Moving ClemsonForward: Increasing research activity through funding (February 26, 2019)
Over the past few years, the Division of Research has worked diligently to support the research endeavors of Clemson University inventors and to increase University research activity. In an effort to promote and build the research environment at Clemson, the Division of Research made a set of funding opportunities available to Clemson researchers that foster innovative and collaborative research.
The R-Initiatives were developed to build upon the University’s reputation in research and provide opportunities for researchers to enhance the quality of their scholarly work and discoveries. In fiscal year 2017, recipients of the R-Initiative grants received funds for five new pieces of equipment supporting 117 faculty members in fourteen departments and six colleges, and they were awarded $2.5 million in additional external funding. The success of the R-Initiatives grants, and the opportunities they have afforded Clemson researchers, are strong indicators of the significant impact the R-Initiatives program has had on the University research enterprise. In support of the ClemsonForward 2020 plan and the ‘R” in REAL, the core strategy of the grant program is to refocus the research mission, grow targeted investments, raise research expectations in an effort to lay the groundwork for future success in research, and maintain the University’s Carnegie R1: Doctoral University (highest research activity) distinction.
The Division of Research has announced a call for proposals for a number of R-Initiative grants. Through these grants, researchers at Clemson will have the resources necessary to:
- Gain access to Clemson’s core facilities at reduced cost
- Successfully compete for significant external funding that will enhance the distinction of Clemson University in key areas of research
- Develop cutting edge research and scholarship that capitalize on existing intellectual property at Clemson
- Purchase, replace, or upgrade major research equipment that will impact funding, scholarship, and research productivity
- Initiate research activities, complete a scholarly project, or advance research and development of a technology.
I encourage you to take advantage of these unique opportunities to advance your research. For more information on the R-Initiatives, visit http://www.clemson.edu/research/r-initiatives/index.html.